valve was manufactured by Crane Steel in the USA during the 1930's. Note the
swastika-like symbol on the daytime closeup. This symbol -- a Coptic Cross,
symbolizing peace and prosperity -- was Crane Steel's logo prior to World
War II when Hitler's regime co-opted the symbol giving it the Nazi connotation.
Despite the fact that these valves were US made and had nothing to do with
Hitler, most of the crosses on similar valves at the gas plant were filed
off during or after World War II. This one somehow survived. The valve
was still in use at the absorption plant in 1985 when the facility was abandoned.
Special thanks go out to Diane Rosvold, TVGP's Senior Interpreter / Site Supervisor
for providing the real story behind this valve.